History

In retrospect, Myanmar Customs Department was established since the royal kingdom of Myanmar. As from March 1755, Dagon became modern port, after King Alound Phaya had occupied Dagon (Yangon), in 1754. King Alound Phaya appointed Mr.Gregory, Armenian nationality, to act as Collector of Customs and there are only three jetties including barge jetty or royal jetty at that time. As for first and foremost a two-storied Customs-House, alike China Style was bulid with brick tiles, wood and bamboo (near City Hall and Yangon Division Police Ofice). Customs-House incorporates ware house, wharf and office and called “Yadanapond Royal Treasury”. One Year later Mr.Gregory Cöllector of Customs was transferred to Pathein as Mayor of Pathein after King Aloud Phaya had died in 1760.

One year later, Mr.Gregory collector of Customs was transferred to Pathein as Mayor of Pathein after King Alound Phaya had died in 1760. In 1764, under the ruling of King Singue son of the king Sin Phu Shin and grand child of King Alound Phaya Customs port was moved from existing place to Latter street and Customs-House was also opened for second time. The Customs Collector was Mr.Joseph Xavier Decruz.

Mr.Roger became Collector of Customs during Kone Baung dynasty, King Bo Daw Phaya succeeded to throne between 1782 and 1819. Besides U Kyaw Yway Myanmar nationality and had dug Inya Lake was appointed as Collector of Customs. The time-lag between 1819 and 1837, Mr.Lgnace Lancigo Spanish nationality was commissioned as a Collector of Customs by King Ba Gyi Taw.